(Photo by Neuro74.)
Let's take a look at the news from Europe.
- Belgium: Lawmakers have unanimously passed a nationwide ban prohibiting women from wearing Islamic veils in public places.
- Denmark: The government has made it legal for schools, public authorities and companies to impose bans on burqas.
- France: The parliament is considering a ban on burqas, with French President Nicolas Sarkozy saying last week: "The burqa has no place in France."
- Germany: Four states have imposed a ban on teachers wearing Islamic scarfs. In one of the states, Heese, the ban applies to all civil servants.
- Italy: The parliament is considering a ban on burqas.
- The Netherlands: The parliament is considering a ban on burqas.
- Switzerland: Voters approved a referendum barring Muslims from building minarets, the architectural feature of Islamic mosques.
Which is the bigger invasion of liberty? The burqa? Or the ban on the burqa?